Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Something that tickles my fancy, easy enough!? Day 6



OK, so today my challenge is to write about whatever tickles my fancy, well that is alot of things. Coleman's smile, a long chat with my best friend, taking pictures on a whim, a walk with my dogs, making something for a friend, reading a good book, a clean smelling house, shoes shoes and more shoes (they don't even have to be for me), my sleeping baby boy all snuggled with his nankie, a warm day in North Dakota in the winter....oh and the list could go on and on and on.

So lets talk about this phrase "tickles my fancy". There are many definitions. So ill list some for you. One definition: something that is appealing to you. The second definition: to enjoy, adore, or be satisfied by something. The third definition: something amusing, entertaining, or stimulating to someones imagination in a favorable manner. In a way aren't these all the same exact thing?? In most cases life in general tickles my fancy, another day is something appealing, enjoyable, amusing, and entertaining in my opinion.

So where does the term "tickles my fancy" come from?? It was originally meant to touch someone in a sensitive place as to provoke laughter, and it is technically a verb. Now doesn't it seem that we have gotten away from its origin a bit?? Most of the time tickles someones fancy has nothing to do with laughter whatsoever.

Anyway Happy Valentines Day to you from me, May you tickle someones fancy today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment